Question :

I had a tenant leave a property I own, and he left a lot of damage to the house that he did not repair. I asked him for either money to pay for the repairs or for him to repair it, but he never did either. Later on, someone left some money for him at the house. The tenant now wants this money. Can I deduct money for repairs from this money?

Answer :

No, you cannot subtract the costs of damages to your property from the amount of money left with you for the previous tenant. Whoever gave you the money is trusting you to give it completely to the previous tenant. This is a trust (amana), and it is prohibited to violate the trust.
You can still continue to ask the previous tenant to undertake the repairs or to pay for them.